Tips for Selecting the Right Cabinet Style for Your Home
Planning the details of a kitchen makeover can be exciting and tedious at the same time. The wide range of materials, fixtures, appliances, hardware, lighting and other aspects of renovation can leave you feeling a bit overwhelmed. The same is true for the kitchen cabinetry as well. From the panels and door pulls, to the storage type and finishing, there are so many decisions that you will need to make. A hasty or unplanned approach could leave you with cabinetry that lacks function and convenience or does not match the rest of your home décor.
At Bucks County Cabinetry & Design, we understand your dilemma and know that these decisions can make or break your renovation project. Our expert designers share a few tips on how to select the right cabinet styles for your home.
How to Finalize Every Aspect of your Kitchen Cabinetry
Kitchen cabinetry is one of the most visible design elements in your home. At the very least, you will have a wall of cabinets, which means the look and feel of your kitchen cabinets should complement the style and décor of the space around it. This is particularly important in open concept homes, where your cook space blends in with other areas, such as the dining room, family room, or formal living room.
Here are some critical aspects that will help you select kitchen cabinetry that best suits your home, cooking habits, lifestyle, and design sensibilities.
- Style and Compartments: The first step to any kitchen renovation is finalizing the layout and elements that enhance the functionality of your kitchen. Once you have that in place, decide the split between closed door cabinets, drawers, tall pullouts, open shelves, and other specialty units, such as corner cabinets, wine bottle racks, or hutches. Every type of cabinet serves a unique purpose and can accommodate different types of shelves, revolving racks, or other storage solutions. Some of the factors that will help you narrow down your options for shelving and storage are:
- Your cooking style and culinary preferences
- Number and size of utensils
- Types of cooking tools and appliances
- Overall storage and space requirements
- Door Paneling: Have you decided on the type of cabinetry you want to install? Now choose a door profile that suits your design sensibilities and preferences.
- For a sleek, minimalist look, go with the classic shaker-style cabinets with simple and elegant flat panels.
- For a traditional vibe, select the rich-grained, natural wood doors and add grooves, insets, or recessed or raised panels to make your cabinetry look custom-made.
- Want to enhance the sense of space in your kitchen? Choose full or paneled glass for some of the cabinet doors. Whether they are clear, frosted or textured, glass doors usually fit into all types of modern and traditional décor styles. They are also a great option for showcasing your prized glassware, favorite ceramics, or other collectibles.
- Prefer a painted look instead of the stained natural wood? With the range of color palettes available, the possibilities for colorful kitchen cabinetry are limitless.
- Door Styles: Cabinet doors are all about maximizing access to the inside shelves, as well as ease of movement in keeping with your kitchen lifestyle.
- If you go with a standard swinging door, make sure that the doors open up in a direction that suits your cooking habits and personal preferences. For example, if you are left-handed, ensure your cabinet doors open from right to left for easy access.
- If you are looking for something unique, check out the flip-up doors with hydraulic mechanisms. You can also explore pocket doors, track doors, corner drawers, garage-style doors (tambour) and other innovative door styles.
- Incorporate ‘quiet close’ or ‘soft close’ functionalities by upgrading to premium hinges and hardware. Since a gentle nudge is sufficient to generate a smooth, self-closing motion, you no longer have to deal with slamming doors or half-open drawers.
- Cabinet Hardware: Although it is one of the most overlooked or underrated components of your cabinetry, take your time to select the doorknobs or drawer pulls; they can dramatically change the look of your kitchen! Whether you prefer knobs, cups or bin pulls, each option is available in wood, ceramic, glass, steel, nickel, brass, and many other materials and finishes. Your remodeling contractor should be able to assist you in making appropriate choices that complement the overall style you want.
Hire Bucks County Remodeling Experts for Quality Custom Cabinetry
At Bucks County Cabinetry & Designs, we are passionate about designing and delivering custom kitchens with practical layouts, lifestyle-friendly solutions, and luxurious finishes. Our experienced designers understand your requirements, create thoughtful plans, and simplify the decision-making process by helping you make appropriate design and material choices. Our master craftsmen skillfully deliver the approved plans in time and on budget. Our kitchen remodeling projects reflect our quality workmanship and our ability to create personalized cook spaces for different types of homes.
Giving your kitchen cabinetry a complete overhaul or looking for a minor refresh? No matter what your renovation goals, hire the experts at Bucks County Cabinetry & Design. Call 215-489-0851 or contact us online to book a consultation.