Checklist for Designing a Transformative Cook Space in Your Backyard
Any home with a backyard presents an excellent opportunity to extend your living spaces. Whether you build an entertainment hub with a fireplace, television, and comfy cushions, or a pool and hot tub, or a fully-equipped outdoor kitchen, you are adding to the usable area of your property. Every installation can be a lucrative investment that increases the value of your home, while also creating more opportunities for spending quality time with family and friends.
The beauty of an outdoor kitchen is that it can be much more than just a grill. With a well-designed plan for the layout, surface, storage, appliances, and amenities, you can achieve an attractive and functional cook space. The kitchen remodeling experts at Bucks County Cabinetry & Design offer a useful checklist for designing a fabulous outdoor kitchen.
Key Considerations for Building an Outdoor Kitchen
Besides increasing your living, dining and entertainment spaces, an outdoor kitchen can help with:
- Adding Conveniences: Not only can you avoid the lingering food smells in the home, but you also do not need to worry about smoke alarms going off unnecessarily while cooking.
- Saving on Utility Bills: A hot kitchen in the summer months tends to make your AC work harder and cranks up your utility bills. An outdoor kitchen gives you an option to save on these costs.
- Making Cooking Easier: Like the idea of multiple people cooking together? An outdoor kitchen allows you the space for it. From prepping the food or grilling, to mixing drinks and cleaning up, it can be possible for your friends or family members to work together without crowding. This may not necessarily be feasible in an indoor kitchen that has limited square footage.
Here is a handy checklist for planning and designing your outdoor kitchen
- Assess the Space: Where do you picture your outdoor kitchen on your property?
- Will it be a direct extension of the patio area? Do you prefer to reserve the deck space for sitting and chilling, and create a standalone kitchen elsewhere in the yard? Or are you building the cook space on a terrace or balcony?
- Will it be a covered or semi-sheltered space, or a completely open-to-sky design?
- Do you have water supply close to the preferred location, or will you need to pull in a water line? Remember, extensive plumbing work can put a considerable dent in your overall outdoor kitchen budget.
- Cabinetry: What kind of outdoor kitchen do you envisage?
- How about weatherproof cabinetry, panels, trim and more that look & feel like real cypress or teak.
- What is your preferred work surface? Outdoor kitchens can accommodate a wide range of countertop materials. You have the timeless and affordable tiled surface, durable natural stone, customizable concrete, hassle-free stainless steel, or the fits-just-about-anywhere granite.
- Is there a particular flooring you have in mind? As an extended area of the patio, your outdoor kitchen may rest on your wooden deck. If you build it elsewhere in the yard, you could look at stone, concrete or tile for the flooring material.
- Appliances and Fuel: What your family loves to cook and eat will play a large part in what type of appliances you wish to install in your outdoor kitchen. While a BBQ smoker, BBQ griddle or a Rotisserie kit is ideal for the low and slow cooking, a power burner, flat-top grill and deep fryer could make up your high-heat suite of appliances. Top it up with a pizza oven, wine cooler, ice-maker, and built-in Keregator. Depending on the appliances you finalize, you may have to make provision for the required fuel type, such as natural gas, propane, charcoal or electric.
Other aspects that will play a key role in your outdoor kitchen project are clearances (applicable building codes and regulations), ventilation, insulation, and lighting. Whether it is an indoor or outdoor kitchen, choosing an experienced kitchen remodeling contractor will help ensure that you do not miss out on any small or large aspect of planning and designing your cook space.
Partner with Bucks County Remodelers for a Custom Outdoor Kitchen
At Bucks County Cabinetry & Design, we have the expertise and experience to design and install fabulous outdoor kitchens, customized to your lifestyle, requirements, and budget. While our innovative designers prepare feature-rich plans that maximize your investment, our master craftsmen skillfully deliver these plans to perfection. You can count on us for lifestyle-friendly solutions, quality workmanship, and consistent customer service.
Hire the experts at Bucks County Cabinetry & Design for tailor-made outdoor kitchens that reflect your personality, cooking habits, and preferences. Give us a call at 215-489-0851 or write to us online to book a consultation.