Transform Your Kitchen into an Instantly Soul-Satisfying Space
Not many interior design themes come close to the charm, warmth, and approachability of the “farmhouse” style. Featuring rustic touches, crisp white shiplap walls, repurposed antiques, and reclaimed treasures, the farmhouse style can make any room in your home look fabulous and instantly soul-satisfying. Using this style in the kitchen would be an excellent option for combining old-world appeal with chic, modern amenities.
The custom kitchen experts at Bucks County Cabinetry & Design discuss some of the key features of a farmhouse style kitchen.
Create the Perfect Rustic Vibe for your Cook Space
The best aspect of the farmhouse style is that it is simple to achieve, yet timeless, elegant, and versatile. Whether you live in a compact urban condo, a sprawling suburban home, or a cozy countryside cabin, you can create a farmhouse-style kitchen in any space, big or small. If you are thinking of a custom kitchen remodel in the farmhouse style, here are some key features that you can incorporate into your cook space:
- The Apron Sink: Essentially the ‘star’ of the farmhouse-style kitchen is the apron sink, an iconic masterpiece that personifies this design theme. The most classic version is the broad-face, deep-bowl, large, white porcelain sink with an exposed front-facing side. The size of the sink allows you to comfortably wash large pots, baking trays, or barbecue grills, while its placement makes it convenient to wipe water from counters straight to the sink.
- Open Shelving: Door-less cabinets and wall-mounted shelves are the staples of a farmhouse style kitchen. Open shelving not only makes it easy to store, locate, or grab dishware and utensils as needed, but it also helps in creating endearing displays. In fact, the eclectic spirit of the farmhouse style allows you to combine vintage collectibles and brand-new finds. So, whether it is heirloom crockery or your favorite hand-me-down serving bowls from Grandma, you can store them right next to a modern kettle, without the setting looking odd or disruptive. The key to achieve this bold look is to tie it all together with natural materials.
- Ceiling, Flooring, and Backsplash: Typically, farmhouse-style kitchens feature all-white or neutral colored cabinetry and walls, along with unique accents for the flooring, ceiling, and backsplash. Most farmhouse kitchens also feature some form of intricate millwork, such as corbels, crown moldings, or wainscot paneling. Ceiling treatments include exposed wood beams, shiplap, beadboards, corrugated or designer tin sheets, and more. For the flooring, look at warm, honey-hued wood or eye-catching patterned or checkered tiles for the flooring. While white subway tiles or bold, monochromatic tiles will always remain in style, for something out-of-the-box, think about a brick or all-wood backsplash.
- Rustic or Repurposed Accents: Go all out on rustic accents to fill in the details of the décor and personalize your cook space. For example:
- Add an industrial cart for extra storage and prep space
- Give a new lease of life to a metal awning or reclaimed barn wood to create a fancy range hood.
- Use woven baskets or wooden crates as unique hanging lamp shades, or reserve them for storing tableware and adding texture to the space.
- Incorporate reclaimed wood as porch posts or exposed open shelves
- Repurpose a vintage dresser, desk, or filing cabinet as a large center island with a butcher block countertop
Farmhouse-style kitchens present endless design possibilities. From French, Scandinavian and Colonial, to Coastal, Traditional, and Industrial, every subtype of farmhouse style allows you to achieve an edgy mashup of the old and rustic with the new and modern.
Hire Bucks County Remodelers for Stunning Custom Kitchen Makeovers
At Bucks County Cabinetry & Design, we specialize in custom kitchen remodeling and offer the complete suite of kitchen renovation services. No matter what your preferred interior design style and aesthetic, our innovative designers and master craftsmen deliver fabulous cook spaces personalized to your needs, lifestyle, and budget. With decades of experience in hand-built specialty kitchens, custom cabinetry, and high-quality architectural millwork, we can help you achieve the kitchen of your dreams.
Reach out to the renovation specialists at Bucks County Cabinetry & Design to achieve a charming, farmhouse-style kitchen makeover or get ideas and inspiration for other interior styles. Call us at 215-489-0851 or contact us online to schedule a consultation.