Whether you are a sommelier, a social drinker, or a true connoisseur who collects different vintages, storing wine bottles in your home is always a critical consideration. While some homes offer adequate space to build exclusive cellars, others may have to make do with storage solutions built into the kitchen or living rooms. It’s also a question of whether you prefer ‘ready-to-drink’ wines or dabble in collectors’ items and premium wines that need years of aging to reach their full potential.
No matter what your storage requirements, the innovative team at Bucks County Cabinetry & Design offers several interesting and practical solutions to store, showcase, and enjoy your prized vinos.
Attractive, Practical Solutions for Your Grigios, Merlots and More
As long as the bottles are away from direct sunlight and in a temperature-controlled environment, you can store most of the pop-and-pour wines for about 8 to 10 months without any significant loss of quality. Essentially, you need to make sure that:
- The storage temperature is between 40- and 65-degrees Fahrenheit
- Relative humidity remains at 50% or higher
- Temperature fluctuation, if any, is not more than 5 degrees Fahrenheit
Temperature range and stability, humidity, ventilation, and darkness are the aspects essential to wine storage. However, you also want to keep in mind security, accessibility, and display. Here are some versatile, decorative and functional solutions that address the art of wine storage.
- Wine Rack Cabinets: Typically built into the kitchen or living room cabinet, wine racks allow you to tuck your bottles safely into cubbies and prevent any accidental bottle breakages. These racks are not only functional, but also space-saving. Most often, there will be other adjoining compartments, drawers or side cabinets for storing wine glasses, bar accessories, dinnerware, and tableware. If you go for custom cabinetry, you can personalize the size of the unit, as well as internal arrangements based on your requirements and available space. In fact, you can also customize the angle of the rack to ensure that the corks do not dry out and wine tastes its best.
- Wall-mounted Wine Racks or Shelves: If you lack the space for a wine rack cabinet, consider wall-mounted racks or shelves that come in a number of fascinating shapes, sizes and horizontal or vertical layouts. Most wall-mounted wine storage solutions feature additional racks for hanging your wine glasses upside down by the stem.
- Stackable Wine Racks: Just started building a wine collection? Stackable racks may be the ideal solution for you. Start out with a rack that holds 4 to 12 bottles, then add and secure another rack on top when your collection grows. Available in a range of wood and metal finishes, stackable racks offer a wide choice and add great value and appeal to your existing furniture and décor.
- Other Creative Configurations: In addition to the standard storage solutions, consider some of these unique ideas to store and showcase your wine collection.
- Convert an old bookcase into a handsome looking holding area for assorted varietals, along with stylish labels. Mirrors or wall papers could work as an excellent backdrop, while the wine racks scale the rear wall of the bookcase.
- Instead of wrapping the corner of the kitchen with a single L-shaped cabinet, add 6 to 8 built-in vertical cubbies. You could also wrap a part of that corner with a narrow glass-door cabinet to store the wine glasses.
- You can also install built-in cubbies in the underutilized cabinet above the refrigerator, or in a niche or cache in the wall spaces between cabinets or appliances.
- If you are remodeling your kitchen, insert a complete section of wine bottle cubbies into the island or one of the lower cabinets, along with a sleek, functional wine fridge to cool your Chardonnays, Grigios, Sauvignon Blancs and Rosé wines.
- Install floating wall shelves with interesting angles and placement to make wine storage an extension of your décor.
- Build a statement piece such as an under-the-staircase, glass-walled wine cellar to label and store your vintage collection. You could also upcycle various interesting materials to build a freestanding bar cart. Customized creations would mean innovative provisions for storing the wine glasses, trays, bottle openers, decanters and other accessories.
Wine Storage is both, an Art and a Science
Smart Wine Storage Solutions by Experienced Remodelers In Bucks County, PA
At Bucks County Cabinetry & Designs, we offer a wide range of custom renovations, including hand-crafted, feature-rich cabinetry and specialty storage solutions. Whether you want to age your wines in a fully equipped cellar, tuck them away in neat cubbies, or create a bold display of your prized collection, we provide smart solutions for all types of requirements.
Check out some of the home bars and wine storage projects completed by our skilled and experienced crew. Our happy customers vouch for our on-trend designs, high-end finishes and unparalleled customer service.
Need dedicated storage solutions for your favorite vinos? Count on the creative designers and master craftsmen at Bucks County Cabinetry & Design. Call 215-489-0851 or contact us online to book a consultation.